Select a page link below.

MY PONDERINGS
Click on "comments" below each post to read comments and/or leave a comment. No sign in required.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving has arrived. What a wonderful holiday! Today we pause to consider what we are truly thankful for. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is too often overshadowed by the approach of Christmas. Greed rears its ugly head as we overstuff ourselves on good food and look forward to Black Friday where we can resume the pursuit of worldly goods with great gusto. Now don’t misunderstand, these are not bad things in themselves, but as with all things they must be kept in moderation. We should not lose today in the anticipation of the tomorrow which may not come. Let us take some time today and reflect on the blessings that we receive. Out of an entire year, is 10 or 15 minutes really too much to ask to turn off the TV, Radio, Cell Phone, Ipod, Computer, etc. to reflect on the blessings and thank God from whom all blessings flow?

I am thankful for so many blessings in my life that they are almost innumerable. Today I am mindful of those men and women who are away from their families to keep me safe. We should remember our men and women serving in the military as well as the public servants, police and firefighters; healthcare workers in hospitals, nursing centers, etc.; and all the other people who take the time today to serve others. I am thankful for my family and friends who support me and pray for me as I pursue my vocation to the priesthood. I am thankful for the priests and religious who have dedicated their lives to God for the betterment of humanity. I am thankful for the opportunities which are afforded to me and my fellow Americans. And to each of you who read this, thank you for your support.

Take the time today to reflect on your blessings and thank God for them. Take the time to pray for those who bless your life and make it more enjoyable. So often we forget to say thank you. Don’t let today be just a start of the holiday season, make today a true day of Thanks-giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment